3 Scenarios When It’s Required
The are three reasons to move a non-expired visa into a new passport:
1. Lost or Stolen Passport
Once you have your new passport in hand, you’ll need to have your current visa stamp or sticker reapplied. This scenario really drives home the importance of keeping multiple backup photocopies of your passport photo page, current visa, and 90-day report receipt stored in a separate place from where you keep your passport.
2. Full Passport
When your current passport no longer has room on any page for an exit or entry stamp and you need to travel, you’ll need a new passport to accommodate new stamps. Once you have your new passport in hand, you’ll need to have your current visa stamp or sticker reapplied.
3. Passport Expires
Once you have your new passport in hand, you’ll need to have your current visa stamp or sticker reapplied.
Do It Yourself
- First get a letter from your embassy stating the change from old passport number to new passport number
- Photocopy of old passport photo page and each stamped interior page (exempt with embassy “Lost passport letter”)
- Photocopy of new passport photo page plus any stamped pages
- Go to dedicated Airport immigration office (should not be a long line)
- Complete “Transfer Stamp to A New Passport Form (Chiang Mai) form
- No charge
- Make all photocopies
- Form completion
- Transport to/from immigration from Guroo office
- Return to any location in Chiang Mai city
- 890 BHT